Tiger Life

AHS Speech and Debate Team Build Valuable Skills

Brittany Pirouznia, Staff

The Tennessee High School Speech and Drama League is one of the many clubs Arlington High School has to offer to it’s student body. This forensics team has gained some prominent recognition and awards during it’s competing season of 2017- 2018. The club is led by fellow teacher and mentor, Mickey Hutson.

The goal of the Speech Team is primarily focused on preparing students for competitions. During practice times, students learn basic communication skills, speech research and preparation, literary analysis, character development, and how to build one’s confidence in public speaking.

Most students will begin by researching, practicing, and committing to the many tournaments that are offered during the school year. There are many novice competitors who start their journey by choosing and sticking to the many events available. Some events are more theatrical in nature, while others focus more on speech and debate.

Events commonly offered are:

• Humorous Interpretation
  • Dramatic Interpretation
  • Prose
  • Poetry
  • Program Oral Interpretation
  • Oratory
  • Informative
  • Impromptu
  • Extemporaneous Speaking
  • Solo Acting
  • Duet Acting
  • After Dinner Speaking
  • Pantomime
  • TV newscasting
  • Public Forum Debate
  • Duo Interpretation

In order for students to become successful in the Speech Team, they must have the desire to excel in their capabilities. They must be willing to put in the time and effort to better themselves in the art of public speaking as well as being open to constructive criticism and change. Most of all, it’s important that students should practice.

In the end, students will not only gain more confidence in their public speaking, but they will also learn communication skills, organization skills, and the skills they need to survive on their own when in college or in life. There is also the likely chance that they will gain a life-long friendship with fellow competitors from all over the state and surrounding areas.

Mr. Hutson is very proud at how far the Speech Team has come this school year. Even though a majority of his star competitors will be leaving this year, he is excited for what Arlington High School has to offer next year as well with the addition of the Honors Forensics class.

The Speech Team will be attending the THSSDL State Qualifiers at Bartlett High School on March 23 to compete for the chance to make it to the State Tournament in April. Though the season is coming to an end, Mr. Hutson is hopeful that more students will make the choice to better themselves and their speaking abilities.