Tiger Life

AHS Students Save Lives With Blood Donation Drive

Chase Davis, Publicity Director

Normally people do not have a smile on their face when they have a needle in their arm and blood coming out of them. However, that is not the case for Arlington High School Senior Lily Kolwyck.  “I just think its cool that I could make a difference in someone’s life by simply donating some of my blood,” she says.  

“There are two primary goals wished to be made by the end of this school year.” Says Kaitlyn Scherffius, Medical Therapeutics and EMS teacher here at Arlington High School. “One of those being the smaller goal of establishing a donation count of at least 46 students, and the larger goal of joining ‘The 100 Club,’ which is a club set up by LifeBlood that schools are able to join by having 100 or more donations.  

Arlington High School’s blood drive event on September 6th, had 48 students donate blood, with over 6 gallons donated. Mrs. Kaitlyn Scherffius hopes to improve on the number of donors by hosting future events, and easier ways to sign up.  

I just think its cool that I could make a difference in someone’s life by simply donating some of my blood”

— Lily Kolwyck

AHS Students can now use their iPads to sign up for the Blood Drive.  Students can use a “Fast Track” questionnaire that asks a few simple questions that makes them things go so much faster and so much smoother. 

Each donor gives pint of blood which could save up to three lives. With Arlington High School meeting their goal of blood donors, the potential lives that can be saved is 144 people. Future events are sure to be a success.

About the Writer
Chase Davis, Publicity Director

Chase Davis is a senior at Arlington High school. He is a multi sport athlete and highly involved with his church. Chase loves time with friends doing...