Kathryn Van Sciver

“We were learning about mammals that live in the ocean. One of my 3rd graders responded, ‘Mrs. VanSciver, you forgot about mermaids!'” These are typical questions Kathryn Van Sciver receives in her STEM class at Arlington Middle School.

Born in West Memphis, Arkansas, and raised in Memphis, Tennessee; Kathryn VanSciver has a Bachelor of Science in Education from the University of Memphis with minor in English and Sociology. She also has a Masters of Education in Curriculum, Instruction, and Design from Christian Brothers University and a Masters of Education from Concordia University with a Specialization in Reading. At home, she has a husband, William Van Sciver, and 4 children.

The family and community atmosphere has been amazing! I do not feel like just another employee.

— Kathryn Van Sciver

Van Sciver started her teaching career at St. Anne as a 3rd grade teacher. She has taught multiple subjects and multiple grades, from kindergarten to 7th grade teaching science and reading classes, as well as gifted students.

Inspired by her 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Vega, Mrs. VanSciver has been teaching for 17 years subjects ranging from kindergarten to 7th grade with science and reading classes.”She really inspired me to teach because her classes were always so much fun.” Mrs. VanSciver hopes to bring fun to the classroom this year at Arlington Middle School.

The first year teaching is known to be difficult for many teachers but especially hard for Mrs. VanSciver. “Watching your students grow up and move on to middle school or high school can be very difficult.” Not being able to follow her students’ academic career is hard for Kathryn VanSciver. However, at the same time she loves to see them grow.

Often as a teacher you face many challenges. Mrs. VanSciver has faced challenges that involve her students. “I have had students that have been through heartbreaking circumstances.”  Kathryn is very involved in her students lives and is also very helpful in making her students feel comfortable and safe in her classroom.

A day to day in Mrs. VanSciver’s class is very involving and lively. “There is a lot of movement, collaboration, and creativity constantly happening in the classroom.” Mrs. VanSciver’s class has an extraordinary time every day in her class. Working on STEM projects and working in groups is the daily agenda in her room.

“I am so happy to be a part of ACS.” Is what Mrs. Van Sciver said when asked about her new environment. She can’t wait to continue to work with her new family throughout this upcoming year. She excites to work with the kids and experience multiple new opportunities.

Tiger Life • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Tiger Life
$250
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

AHS TigerLife intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards.
All TigerLife Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *