Nicole Hensley

How would you feel about moving schools that doubles in size and population of the last place you worked?

Our new Arlington High School Media Specialist, Nicole Hensley did just that. Mrs. Hensley spent her educational student tenure at Southwest Community College on a softball scholarship, then transferring to Union University and receiving her degree in Elementary Education and Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from The University of Memphis.  Mrs. Hensley became the Media Specialists at Brighton High School.

“The only school district I’ve ever worked for was Tipton County. So I felt like maybe it would be a positive change to move to Arlington. This school is a lot bigger than the school that I came from. I’ve been at Brighton High School for the last six years and Arlington High School is larger in size. We had about 1300 students and I think there’s 2300 here, so it’s about double.”

When you think of a librarian, some may think of what we see stereotyped in the movies. The typical person that you would see at the front desk checking books in and out and most likely shushing someone for every noise made. In real life for Mrs. Hensley, this stereotype couldn’t be any farther from the truth. Librarians, now titled “Media Specialists”, have job duties ranging more than just what we normally see.

Change is not always easy, but it can be a good learning experience.

— Nicole Hensley

“Here at work, I guess it’s not that surprising to get here early. I have to get laminator turned on for the teachers that are coming in. Making sure there is plenty of paper and the printers that we use there. That is pretty much what it was like at my other school, It’s what I call the morning rush, where they come in to check out a book real quick before they go to their first class, if they need something printed real quick. Typically, if there was a problem with their computer or their device, they would come see me to try to take care of that before they head to class for the day. Helping teachers as they come in throughout the day with whatever issues might come up, either they need a book, a resource for their class or something printed and laminated. And then students just kind of trickle in throughout the day  to look for books to check out.”

Hensley understands that reading is an important and necessary skill needed in life.

“One of the main reasons I think reading is important and I’ve seen this evidence and with my own children, is vocabulary. When you are read too as a toddler before you can actually read the words yourselves, I think it just starts building that knowledge that you need for understanding all the subjects. If you read more, you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll start to see connections with what you’ve read and then what you’re studying in science class or even in your visual arts class. I just think reading connects it all.”

“I like to cook and do anything with my children.” Every teacher has a life outside of school. Mrs. Hensley enjoys spending time with her husband and 3 children as well as reading, traveling, cooking and listening to music. Her favorite book is Island of the Blue Dolphins, which is about a young girls journey of survival and her favorite series to read is the Killing Lincoln series by Bill O’Reilly.

Moving to a new environment can be intimidating, but Mrs. Hensley has a different outlook on this new adventure.

“I’m looking at this new adventure and excited about learning all the things about Arlington Community Schools and Arlington High School specifically. I just think Arlington High School is an extremely nice place to be. I’ve been very impressed with the school, the students, and the teachers. I was a little nervous because all I’ve ever known is Tipton County, but to sum it all up, that’s what I’d say, I’m very thankful to be here.”

Tiger Life • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Tiger Life
$250
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

AHS TigerLife intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards.
All TigerLife Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *