Jade Schlich

Many say that teaching is all about seeing your students grow, and new Arlington High School English Teacher Jade Schlich says her passion is seeing her “students grow in creativity and literature.”

Ms. Jade Schlich teaches English 11 and English 12. “I love teaching juniors and seniors because I like having fun conversations about literature. Seniors and juniors can tap a little more cognitive thought.”

She grew up in Lufkin, Texas and she has been teaching for 14 years. She pursued an education at Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas and  graduate school in Ohio.

We look at things from all different angles. I think about like a dodecahedron has all different sides. So not everything is just one sided. Usually everything has different facets, different ways to look at something. So if we can change our point of view, maybe they can understand it better.

— Jade Schlich

Moving to Arlington was a big change from Texas and Ohio, but Schlich feels right at home. “Arlington is wonderful. Arlington has some of the best students. Everyone is kind. Everyone is hard working. There is an atmosphere of academics that I absolutely love it here at Arlington High School,” says Schlich.

She is a novel enthusiast and likes to help students figure out who they are through literature.

“I was teaching a juniors honors class, and we were reading The Great Gatsby. And I tell my students,  everybody’s different, and it’s okay, if you want to go ahead and watch the movie before we read the book. I had a football player that watched the movie before we started reading the book, and he was a C student. He was not the ‘brightest star in the sky’, but he really got into The Great Gatsby. Because he watched the movie, he could understand the book better. He understood all the conversations we had in class. So it was really fun to see him get all the symbolism, action, and quiet moments because he already pursued learning in depth prior to starting the novel.”

She is excited to look into some really deep and engaging topics throughout the school year. Ms. Schlich brings multiple assets to her classroom.”I like students to be creative, and sometimes you can find out more about how student understands literature, through their creative outlets rather than just writing or just a test. If they can create something about a character or a book or a story or a poem, maybe they know more than they think they do.”

Tiger Life • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to Tiger Life
$250
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

AHS TigerLife intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards.
All TigerLife Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *