The Memory Project Feature at AHS Art Show

Maddie Dickson, Journalist

AHS recently hosted an art show to showcase some of their students best works. The art show consisted of works from every art class here at AHS. Most of the artwork was on sale, available to the public at a fixed price the artist chose. The best part of this is that the commission from the art goes straight to the artist. This encourages young artists to keep pursuing their passion. The art show also included a special feature called “The Memory Project.”“The Memory Project is a unique initiative in which art students create portraits for children and teens around the world who have been neglected, orphaned, or disadvantaged. Given that kids in such situations tend to have few personal keepsakes, we’re aiming to provide them with special memories that capture a piece of their childhood. As much as possible, we also want to help the kids see themselves as works of art.” Art students received photos of orphans and then work in any medium to create the portraits (drawing, painting, digital art, collage, etc). Next, the portraits are delivered to the kids as gifts. Photos are taken of the kids holding the portraits so the art students can see the delivery in action. The creator of The Memory Project, Ben Schumaker, started the project to connect youth around the world through art to help build cultural understanding and international kindness. The Memory Project, started in 2004, now has 300,000 youth in 55 countries involved.

Together we are using art to reach a distant destination: a kinder world in which all youth see themselves in one another regardless of differences in their appearance, culture, religion, or circumstances.

— Ben Schumaker