Best Librarian of West Tennessee

Angelina Maldonado, staff

I felt very honored after receiving the award, because there are so many librarians doing such great things for their schools.

— Amy Balducci

Our librarian at Arlington High School, Amy Balducci, has been working at the school for 4 years. She was given the award for best librarian of West Tennessee. She says, “In the last 8-10 years, librarians have done such a phenomenal job at integrating technology and utilizing the latest and greatest application into practice, so I am in great company. I absolutely love what I do.”

“I felt very honored after receiving the award, because there are so many librarians doing such great things for their schools”

Mrs.Balducci went to University of Memphis for both her bachelors and masters degree. She has her masters degree in Endorsement in Library Media Specialist and Curriculum Leadership. Wanting to be a librarian was not her first property right our of college, but teaching was. “I always wanted to be a teacher because I love children and sharing new information with them. One of my favorite classroom activities as a teacher was reading aloud and novel studies.” When going back to college for her masters degree, Mrs. Amy was looking for a way to teach outside of the classroom.

“When I was in the classroom, I felt like the library at the school I was teaching at was dull and uninviting for students. I wanted the library to feel like my classroom felt for my students.”

Due to Covid-19, the physical space of the library has been closed down. Today the library is being used as a Covid isolation room. Therefore, the library is  electronically through new apps downloaded onto student and teacher iPads. “Everything is completely digital. All ebooks are available through Sora, which can be accessed through Classlink. Best of all – no late fees!”

Mrs.Balducci reads about two to three books every month in her down time. She recommends the book Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. Don’t forget follow the library Instagram account @ahstigerlibrary.