Band vs. COVID-19

Kaylie Nguyen, staff

The Arlington High School marching band is a staple to football season. Not only do they perform at half-time, but they also perform concerts throughout the year. I have interviewed Senior Esmeralda Ordonez and Junior Sydney Clark to see how COVID-19 has impacted their season. Both students have been playing the clarinet for 7-8 years and are in the marching band, as well as concert band.

With the changes to the school due to the virus, there have been new regulations within the band. Since the start of the Hybrid schedule, the entire band has only come together a handful of times during the football games. Both sources have said that, “the band has been taking it okay; some of us are upset we couldn’t go on trips and really all be together and compete, overall pretty well. I thought it would be worse” (Ordonez) and “In my opinion, I think that the band has handled COVID very well” (Clark). Although playing an instrument involves using your mouth, the band has been taking action to prevent spreading germs. “We have to stay socially distanced at all times and cannot get into huddles or groups. We also stay socially distanced while we play our instruments. We always wear a mask unless we are playing, and our temperatures get checked every practice or game. We also have split the band in two, making sure we have similar groups instead of one large one” (Clark).

It’s not the season I wanted for senior year, but it’s over now and I’m upset…

— Esmeralda Ordonez

There have been a few obstacles the members have seen so far. During class time, “a lot of different platforms are being used to get a lesson or topic covered and learned, so it can get stressful having to keep up with what you have due in each of these platforms” (Clark). Not only are there problems in the classroom, but outside as well. Ordonez states that one of the major events the band partakes in is ‘Arlington Open Invitational’ or AOI. It is where AHS invites bands from other schools to compete on our campus. Besides this competition, they cannot compete in others as they have done previous years. When they are not performing or practicing, they are coming together as a family. “Since we can’t be all together because the band is so big, we didn’t have a close connection with the freshman or the others. We are still like strangers” (Ordonez). Other than the multiple obstacles they face daily, there have also been some positives. Unfortunately most of the marching band’s shows involve close movement, so they have been suspended for the season. “Since we didn’t have marching band, the band has been preparing for next year’s show” (Ordonez). All of their time and effort is now being put towards the shows for their next season. “A benefit from this situation is that students get two days at home to work in a comfortable area and just relax instead of having to be at school all the time. Another benefit is that mostly all of the work has been moved online, so students can just have everything on one device instead of having to keep up with all these papers and work on the devices” (Clark).

Overall, “It’s not the season I wanted for senior year but it’s over now and I’m upset, but it’s fine. I still made memories with my friends” (Ordonez). She also hopes some restrictions will be lifted in time for the next season. On the other hand, with next year’s season being prepared for, Clark has said, “I think this COVID situation will get better eventually with time.” To hear the band perform, you can watch them during the football live streams on the AHS TigerLife YouTube Channel!