Cybersecurity Awareness Month

Kaylie Nguyen, staff

At Arlington High School, technology is all around the students and faculty. One of the biggest revenues would be the iPads that the school offers for every student. From basic uses like daily classwork to presentations and projects, technology is being used.

With the prominent use of iPads and computers, a big problem is how to stay safe online. During the month of October, not only does it promote Breast Cancer Awareness, but it also promotes Cybersecurity Awareness and what we can do to use the internet safely.

Beth Handy is an educator of multiple subjects for the past four years. She teaches Cybersecurity I & II, AP Computer Science: Principles, and Accounting for grades 9-12. she also loves to educate both students and her fellow colleagues on how to stay safe from threats and scams online.

Although she has been teaching for four years, she has only participated in Cybersecurity for the last three years. Both her and her students make posters and flyers to hang up around the school. She also sends weekly emails to all staff and faculty “pertaining to the different themes of Cybersecurity.”

While teaching students to love the world of coding and accounting and “seeing how [she] can change students’ lives”,

— Beth Handy