Hayley Armstrong

Brooklyn Criswell, Twitter Manager

Be that teacher you always wanted.

— Hayley Armstrong

One might say Hayley Armstrong was destined to be a teacher. “My Mom’s a teacher, my grandmother is a teacher, my great aunts were teachers, and all my moms friends were teachers, so it’s kind of in my blood.” Hayley Armstrong, who grew up in a very long line of teaching is the newest Special Education  teacher, here at Arlington High School.

Ms. Armstrong came here to Arlington High School from University of Tennessee at Martin after majoring in Special Education for kindergarten through 12th grade. Ms. Armstrong was always a part of teaching programs because of her family, Ms. Armstrong said every teacher has different teaching styles. “You’ll always hear the word modify and accommodate in Special Education. We always bring it down to their level, but always make sure they learn what they need to.”

After being in college for four years, Ms. Armstrong was able to cultivate positive relationships with students and create a sense of class community. She was able to make the atmosphere of the classroom comfortable for the students. She stated, “ I love spending one on one time with the students and letting them run errands with me. You have to show them you care and can give them individualized attention because some kids aren’t able to receive that and need to know someone cares for them.”

Ms. Armstrong was taught to always give the best advice she can to younger students who want to become a teacher.“Be that teacher you always wanted.”She stated. “I knew in high school I always needed a good math teacher.”

Ms. Armstrong always had Arlington High School in the back of her mind. “I found out AHS was hiring in March 2021, it was the first place I applied to. I knew I wanted to be here.” She was so happy to figure out she would be the new Special Education teacher here at AHS. Hayley Armstrong is very excited and hopes this new year will be successful.