Color Theory

Color+Theory

Maddie Hughes, Tik Tok Manager

“I would say color is one of the best kept secrets I know of.”

Saralyn Archibald is a fine arts teacher at Arlington High School who implements color theory into her career and her daily life. “It’s the visual language of film, of plays, of individuals in everyday life. There’s a reason it’s called The Scarlett Letter and not the purple letter.”

Throughout her daily life, color theory influences the way Ms. Archibald dresses everyday. “I use color theory every day to tell everybody around me what kind of day I’m having, so that they’re clear. Personally, I think the whole world should do it that way. So for me, red and black days mean no, it’s not a good day. If I’m wearing purple, then for me, that’s a really good day.”

Ms. Archibald explains that in the same way symbolism is taught in English, is the similar way color theory describes what colors mean. Typically, black symbolizes dramatic, deadly, or attractive, just as how red means danger, blood, or passion. Color theory majorly influences movies and television shows. Ms. Archibald explains, “When you watch it in a film, color can convey a lot of information to the audience, whether they’re aware of it or not.”

“Sometimes we’re not aware of what we’re being told. Color influences so many things in our lives, from shows, movies, to the type of mood we’ll be in.”