Lunch on the Lawn

Mikayla Starks and Baylor Bartlett

As students are gathering back in the building, new Arlington High School seniors are starting to make the most of their last year. “Lunch On The Lawn” has been an ongoing tradition here at Arlington High School. AHS Assistant Principal, Dr. Joy Bowser says, “It’s just a long term tradition. It’s been here ever since I got here.” “Lunch On The Lawn” is a privilege for seniors only. “It is a space that seniors deserve to to be able to go out there while eating lunch and enjoy the fresh air,” said Dr. Joy Bowser. Ninth through eleventh grade students eat lunch in the cafeteria, while seniors are given the trust to eat outside and keep the area clean.  The trust to throw trash away and pick up after themselves is why  Administration continues to allow the privilege.  Dr. Bowser says the responsibility helps students be conscious of their imprint here, “As much as we want you all to have the privilege, we also want you to be responsible with that privilege.”

AHS senior student, James Chandler says his favorite lunch food to have is a “turkey and cheese roll with ranch.” At the same time, sitting outside can have its downfalls. James Chandler says, “It gets a little hot when siting outside for a long time in the full sun.” Nonetheless, the majority of senior students revel in the fact that they get to sit outside for lunch. The unpredictability of the weather can lead to disastrous results. According to AHS senior student, Gunner Ing, there have been a few humorous moments while sitting outside.  “It started raining and this kid decided to still sit in the rain and continue eating his lunch.” “Lunch On The Lawn” gives  seniors to begin their senior year with something fun only they are privileged to and it continues to be a successful addition to Arlington High School lunch room.