Strong sound, strong family

Caydence Coleman and Garett Eanes

Many people in school are looking for an academic family and a place to call home. Some struggle to find the place they feel most comfortable, and others find it right away. The Arlington High School Band is this place for many of the school’s students.
With nearly 180 students, the AHS Band is one of the largest student organizations on campus. It is made up of so much more than just the instruments they play and their performances at the football games. “Bands community is like a great family.” Says junior and drum major Cameron Allen when asked about the community aspect of the band. “It’s like, they’re there when you’re down, they’re there when you’re up, always there.” Cameron has been in the band for five years, this being his sixth, and has found a huge comfort in not only the way that the sport functions and the effort that they put in, but also the kindness shared between the students and the abundance of friendships. He has found an activity where he loves what they do, but he also loves who they are as a group. Band is something that many people continue with through all of high school and a place to form lifelong friendships.
Cameron is only one student of many who enjoys the band past just the playing. Sophomore John Hook says, “Being in band, it’s like you have a group. People that know you and walk up to you and you can say ‘Hey, I know that guy!’ or ‘Hey, how’s your day going?’ and they know you, and they like you.” The students in the band are all just looking to find people that enjoy the same things that they do. This is really what makes it such an extraordinary body of students; everyone is always ready to invite new members and recruit them as more than just fellow band members, but also as new friends.
Not only do the students want to ensure that every member feels at home, but the band directors do as well. Assistant Band Director Sam Schirmer said, “The best thing about what we do is the community aspect of us. Everybody who is in the group is welcome, and everybody feels like they’re at home when they’re in our classroom or at our rehearsal, and we can give everybody a place where they belong.” The band is very successful in all of their pursuits from performing halftime at football games to competitions such as All West, and much of their success comes from how strong of a community this is. Many people will never remember the people from their English or Math classes, but being a part of a family such as this one brings you long lasting relationships that you will never forget. These are the people you will stay in touch with even after graduating, the people playing beside you and supporting you through all of your endeavors.