Leaving The Team: Gabriel Torres & Carter McKay

Nepo Richardson, Sports Journalist

Carter McKay opens with a honest response talking about his beginning years in football. “I started football when I was in kindergarden, and I really loved it and kept playing up to this year. “He goes on to talk about howe football has made him stronger and encouraged him to keep working and he made a connection with him and his teammates. “Football has taught me to be tough.” he enjoyed his years, and football was a very vital chapter in his life. Gabriel Torres soon shared his journey about how he began. “I started playing flag football and I wanted to take it to the next level.” He soon took it to the next level reaching outstanding heights in Arlington Football.

Carter McKay is a true athlete and stated, “My commitment to Memphis made me decide to leave. I just needed to focus on baseball more than football because balancing the two were like they were bumping heads with each other.” Gabriel Torres soon expands on how playing two sports became tiring, difficult, and caused too much stress on there body saying, “Football really takes a toll on your body, and right after football, goes immediately into track season, so I got to get into my track-form, and get everything back together.” Carter had the same feelings involving baseball, and he felt tired a lot as well.

Gabriel Torres goes on to talk about his coaches demands and expectations on the team, and also on how they interfered with his dream, “They had these demands and I couldn’t reach those demands getting where I’m trying to go and I can’t do that if I get hurt.” Gabriel wanted to save his body more than anything else, and holds himself to very high standards when it comes to athletics, involving his future in track. Carter also says, “Leaving the team has left me to focus on baseball more than anything else.’

Although leaving the team seemed terrible, some teammates and coaches understood McKay. “My teammates didn’t shun me for it, in fact, my teammates and some coaches agreed with me, and knew I had a bigger goal than to play high school football, and my goal is to play D1 baseball and hopefully beyond that.” Gabriel includes that his fellow tigers were shocked and surprised, but at the end of the day, like all brothers do, they had his back and supported his dreams like Carter’s. The football team went on to win more games without Torres or McKay, and Gabriel loves to see his team succeed. “Man I’m so happy for them! It’s so awesome, because that’s what they deserve, and they deserve nothing less. ” Although the two are gone from the program, they still show they have effort, friends, teachers, and goals that keep them motivated in life.

To watch more about Gabriel Torres’ and Carter McKay’s story, watch our video at YouTube at this link: