The Digital Media Publication of Arlington High School

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

New Beginnings for Coach Bussey as He Lands at AHS

Jonathan Bussey’s daily routine changed as he took on roles at Arlington High School. He normally hangs out with his wife, Jessica, as he describes as his “best friend.” He enjoys playing pickleball and gets very competitive about it. Balancing his work life and home life with his wife has changed with his first year of teaching. Coach Bussey’s wife helps him maintain this balance in many ways. She supports Bussey and helps around the house until he gets home from school and practice. He puts effort into making sure his wife gets his full attention by putting his phone down and spending quality time with her. Bussey speaks very highly of his wife; there is a giddiness about him: a bright sparkle in his eye and a wide grin on his face. He loves spending time and living life with her. He also loves and is very passionate about teaching.

As Bussey goes into his 1st year of teaching, he is in charge of rec. games, lifetime wellness, and weightlifting. These classes have many different types of kids and games, and he says that he “loves working with the variety of kids in [his] classes.” Tommy Miller, the varsity football head coach, and teaches with Bussey in the gym. Miller describes Bussey as “caring” for all the kids in his class and team. He is a thoughtful teacher as he loves helping others when needed. He gives his full attention to all classes, even directing them when a visitor comes to his class. He does his best to make sure all students are having a fun time.

As Jonathan Bussey commutes to Arlington he not only works as a teacher but also a varsity football coach.  He works with the varisty defensive team for the high school football team alongside coach Casey Nelson, Gary Miller, David Williams, and head coach, Tommy Miller. Coach Miller says Bussey has great character with good moral values, someone he wants running the kids on and off the field. Bussey prepares for games by watching film and guiding his athletes through hours on end of practice. He works with his athletes, practicing Monday – Thursday, and coaching them in games on Friday nights. He is very passionate about making his kids better even while they have high and lows. While Bussey coaches his athletes, he also posts them on the Arlington High School football team social media. Coach Miller says, “Bussey does a fantastic job running the social media keeping us hip with the youngsters.” A big thing for Coach Bussey is respect. He respects the players, students, and other staff and will continue to respect everybody as he cruises along through his new role.