The Digital Media Publication of Arlington High School

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

Half of AHS’s Coaching Duo!

Sherri Smith’s Welcome to Arlington!

This year, Arlington High School picked up a new Head Girls Basketball Coach, Sherri Smith. This is Coach’s Smith’s 17th year teaching and 7th year coaching basketball. Along with her, Arlington picked up her husband, Anthony Smith. He is the new Head Boys Basketball Coach.

Coach Sherri started out coaching at the elementary level at Jefferson Elementary in Fayette County. It has been seven years since then, and she has risen up to high school. She loves the culture and community here at Arlington High School and the support the community has for the school. Along with being the Head Girls Basketball Coach, Sherri Smith is a 9th grade lifetime wellness teacher. She enjoys both coaching and teaching and cannot chose between the two. Her favorite thing is building relationships with students. These relationships are able to last a lifetime.

Sherri Smith loves working alongside her husband. She loves spending time with him, and they are a very good team. The two of them have come a very long way since they first met at Popeyes many years ago. They were both out with friends and one of Anthony’s friends wanted Sherri’s number. She ended up giving her number out, but it was to Anthony himself. Ever since then, Mr. Smith says, “It was just meant to be!”

When Coach Smith was young, her aunt always told her she thought she was going to grow up to be a teacher. She said, “My husband actually pushed me towards teaching, he was my person that said, ‘you know it is something you will enjoy doing,’ so I took a step out and went for it.” This positively impacted her career for the better. Coach Smith says her favorite part of being on the Arlington High School coaching staff is that she has the ability to start from scratch. She is ready and excited to develop a program from the ground up. Both Coach Smiths are ready for the year ahead!