The Digital Media Publication of Arlington High School

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

First Year Special Needs Teacher Comes to Arlington

“I have always had a soft spot in my heart working with special needs kids.”

History

Tyler McCoin’s interest with teaching started because his mother was a teacher. He is just out of college; this is his first-year teaching. He shared that in order to obtain this job, a major in education is necessary; then special needs focused classes must be practiced as well. He claims that his wife is his biggest supporter.

He hopes to become a football coach at some point in his career, but he chose his current field of work for a special reason: “Interacting with kids and helping them learn” is his favorite part of the job.

Work Life

Tyler McCoin states, “It varies, a normal day we rotate classes and help kids learn.” However, each day is different. The biggest take away he wants the audience to gain from this interview is that patience is key. Working with kids that need extra attention and special help is very important and time oriented. Each student is assigned a teacher, so all of their attention needs to be on that child. However, everyone helps each other out. He made sure to share that it does not get frustrating or difficult, but patience is needed. Many find it admirable how empathetic and caring he is in order to wake up early every morning and go into a building to take care of and teach other people’s children.

His current task being to teach a teenager how to speak, is very important. This will improve the child’s and his family’s life forever, as language and speaking are vital parts of everyday life. Many people do not realize how impactful disabilities can be, such as being a near adult and only recently learning to speak. Working with special needs students are a privilege and a true task. Mr. McCoin is great with the kids and is very welcomed here at AHS.