Jessica Sparks

Jessica+Sparks

Harley Eason, AHS Journalist

I am excited to be a part of Arlington Community Schools and to continue my teaching career at Arlington Elementary School.

— Jessica Sparks

Jessica Sparks is a new teacher at Arlington Elementary School. She attended University of Memphis. Jessica Sparks assisted in art with the students in special education in her eighth grade art class and loved it. That is when she first knew she wanted to teach. Jessica Sparks started teaching with Shelby County Schools at Dexter Middle School in 2008.

Jessica Sparks now teaches elementary K-5 in special education. Jessica Sparks “works with a variety of different students, different grade levels, different ability levels academically and behaviorally.” According to Jessica, each year is different. The students work on communication, reading, math, science, social studies, life skills, readiness skills, working towards grade level academics, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, independence skills, behavioral skills and a variety of individual needs are met each day to push the students to become as independent as they can with life and academically skills.

Jessica Sparks enjoys getting the students started in the right direction for the rest of their school career and life. Jessica Sparks’ favorite thing about teaching is “seeing the joy in students eyes when someone understands them and/or when they are able to master a new skill/concept.” Jessica’s advice for aspiring teachers is “learn what you love about teaching and focus on that and and the little things and small/gradual accomplishments of students.”