Rashaunda Foster

Rashaunda+Foster

Hudson Brown, Journalist

I am Hudson Brown interviewing on behalf of AHS Digital Journalism. Today, I am interviewing new teacher Rashaunda Foster. She is currently teaching science at AMS.

Brown: What is your name?

Foster: My name is Rashaunda Foster.

Brown: What school do you currently teach at? What grade do you currently teach?

Foster: I currently teach 7th grade science (best curriculum ever) at AMS.

Brown: When did you begin teaching?

Foster: I’ve been teaching since 2007.

Brown: What school did you first teach at? If so, which school do you prefer?

Foster: My first full year teaching assignment was at White Station Middle School under the leadership of Principal Sullivan.

Brown: Have you taught any other subjects? Any other grades?

Foster: I’ve taught Science 6-12, Biology, and Anatomy & Physiology.

Brown: Did you always plan to be a teacher?

Foster: I wanted to become a teacher shortly after tutoring students to read while in nursing school.

Brown: What‘s the best memory you’ve made while teaching?

Foster: My best memories are the phenomenal projects students bring to remind us that learning is not all about the “test”. You can show what you know in a variety of ways.

Brown: Why do you teach?

Foster: I teach because I can honestly say I make a positive influence in my students’ lives long after they leave the classroom.

Brown: Describe a normal day in the life of a teacher.

… remain flexible, pace yourself, and believe in your inner strengths and academic expertise.

— Rashaunda Foster

Foster: A typical day would involve lots of coffee, laughs, and anything unexpected!

Brown: What advice do you have to aspiring to teachers?

Foster: My advice to novice teachers would be to remain flexible, pace yourself, and believe in your inner strengths and academic expertise. Get to know the students one day at a time. Be patient with them and yourself. Internalize the fact that we make a difference and we, as educators, are invaluable. Love what you do, and do what you love!

Brown: Thank you very much for taking the time for this interview.

That was my interview with AMS Science teach Rashaunda Foster. I am confident she’s perfect for the position. With the seemingly overwhelming amount of passion for her job and love for her students, she seems she’ll be making strides down at AMS.