Heather Basinger

Heather+Basinger

Maggie Earnest, Journalist

Heather Basinger is a new resource teacher at Donelson Elementary. She is in her seventh year of teaching, and she previously taught resource for three of her seven years in an elementary school in Utah. Her husband got a job offer in Memphis, and as soon as they moved here she was excited about Donelson. “I really wanted to work at Donelson when I saw the sensory garden was built. I thought that if a school makes sensory needs a priority, then I would definitely enjoy working there!”

She also speaks of her favorite morning routines for students, and how she makes sure they have a good start to their day. “My students utilize visual schedules for morning routines which allows them the independence to complete tasks. This allows them to feel success and have responsibility in their learning environment. I also make sure to always greet my students with a smile, and asking about how they are feeling and what they did the previous weekend or evening.”

I am most excited to see my students grow in all areas and stages of their lives!

— Heather Basinger

When asked about her other four years of teaching, she said that she also was a science teacher, and cannot wait to conduct science experiments with the kids. “At my previous job I worked as a science, literacy, and vocational functional skills teachers. One of my favorite things to do last year was conduct science experiments, and I am itching to start those soon!”

She is most excited to see her students grow not only through school, but throughout their lives as well. We wish her the best and hope she has an amazing year at Donelson Elementary.