Meghan Coleman

Meghan+Coleman

Lizzie Coleman, Journalist

While most teachers entering their first year of teaching plan their lessons expecting to be a normal school year, Meghan Coleman has had to prepare for teaching in a pandemic.

“The new school year has been crazy so far. I am grateful we are able to be back in the building learning, but with that has come a large sense of flexibility”, she states.

Ms. Coleman is a 6th grade science teacher at Arlington Middle School.

“I started teaching because I wanted to be able to build relationships with students, and I wanted to have a chance to make a positive impact on their lives”, she says.

She loves being able to make connections with her students throughout the year.A lot of previous planning took place before entering school in a different setting. The students start with bell work, work through a lesson, and then given an activity to work on their own.

Ms. Coleman states, “These assignments came from the idea of trying to establish routines for students.”

A classroom set up consist of desks spread out, no paper, and masks on all the time.As the school year continues, Ms. Coleman hopes to gain a sense of normalcy in their lives.

“I started teaching because I wanted to be able to build relationships with students, and I wanted to have a chance to make a positive impact on their lives.“

— Meghan Coleman

“With these changes, I try to make the material for the lessons all online so they can always have easy access” ,she states.

The platforms OneNote and Schoology are used the most to help keep her kids and their work organized.

She states, “This year I am trying to teach my kids how to find assignments and material on their own.”

As she teaches her students responsibility, she also motivates her students to become active leaders in the classroom.

“I give my students opportunities to assist or explain something they have discovered” states, Ms. Coleman.

Ms. Coleman is  excited to be apart of our tiger family!