How Technology Has Affected AHS Students

Chris Beck, Media Director

Seven years ago, Arlington High School implemented a 1:1 iPad to student ratio, which was a major change in the way students learned. Teachers are using iPads for almost all of the work that is given to students, including subjects like Math and English which have traditionally been paper. While many students and teachers have embraced the new technology, some have expressed concerns about its impact on mental health.

Clark Sumrow, a senior at Arlington High, believes that the use of technology has had a positive impact on his learning experience. “Having an iPad has made it so much easier to stay organized and keep track of my assignments. I feel much more in control of my work,” he explains.

However, Sumrow acknowledges that there have been some challenges associated with the new system, particularly when it comes to mental health. “It can be hard to disconnect from technology, and I’ve definitely noticed that I spend more time staring at screens than I used to,” he says.

Sumrow believes that the benefits of technology in the classroom outweigh the potential negatives. “Overall, I think that having access to technology has made me a better student and better prepared for the future,” he says.

Other students, like Marissa Ramsey and Parker Kilder, have expressed concerns about the impact of technology on their mental health. Ramsey, a senior, says that she often feels overwhelmed by the constant use of screens. “Sometimes, it feels like there’s no escape from technology. It can be really draining,” she says.

Kilder, a seniors, agrees, adding that he has noticed an increase in stress and anxiety since the school implemented the new system. “It’s like there’s always something to do or check, and it can be really hard to relax,” he says.

Despite these challenges, Arlington High School remains committed to integrating technology into the classroom experience. Arlington hopes to maintain a healthy balance between learning and technology.