The Digital Media Publication of Arlington High School

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

Tiger Life

The Last Football Game 15 Will Play

ACL tears are tough events that change lives. The main thing they do is ruin careers. Arlington was playing Bartlett, their biggest rival, and the entire football team was ready to go. Wade Wissman, an Arlington High School football player, recently tore his right ACL, MCL, and Meniscus. He was the starting middle linebacker, and the football team relied on him tremendously.

Wade started the game off great with a tackle for loss, then his whole football career took a turn. On the fourth play of the game, Wade tried blitzing to stop the run play, when the running back was running towards him and cut to the inside. The lineman was going to block him as Wade was cutting back inside to tackle the running back, and Wade got hit by the lineman.

Wade suddenly was on the ground, and not getting up. Everyone was in shock as he was carted off the field. After the game, Arlington lost to Bartlett 53-18. Wade was devastated as his senior year was ended. “The first week after it happened, I could not walk or do anything on my own. It was depressing, painful, and tiring,” said Wade. It was the worst physical and emotional pain he has ever felt, for he will never play football again.

Wade can now walk and drive on his own. He sits on the sidelines and supports his teammates as the football team finishes out the season. He remarked, “I always try to help anyone that is failing try to make them better and succeed. Play every game like it’s your last and never be scared to get hurt.”