AHS FCCLA Hosts School-Wide Game of Compliment Tag

The students of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) at Arlington High School decided to make kindness a priority this year. FCCLA is a career and technical student organization that is associated with the Human and Social Sciences program of study at AHS and focuses on family, leadership and community. This year, AHS FCCLA is using multiple community service projects to promote kindness and give back to people across the lifespan.

A team of officers for the organization brainstormed about how to promote and encourage kindness among teenagers and the concept of Compliment Tag was born. During a club meeting, the members of FCCLA wrote compliments on Post-It notes and placed them on the banner by the cafeteria. The students were to grab a note and “tag” another student with a compliment and then it was their turn to compliment someone. Students were encouraged to snap a photo and add the #ComplimentTag on various social media platforms. The game of tag kicked off on World Kindness Day Tuesday, November 13 and ended right before Thanksgiving break Friday, November 16.

Jules Daniel, a 2 year officer in AHS FCCLA says, “It was actually pretty cool to see everyone participating in Compliment Tag. The students were genuinely excited to give compliments to each other.”

The FCCLA members came back 24 hours later and already needed to add more compliments to the banner because so many students were participating. Overall, the organization will have added approximately 900 compliments to the world.

Moving forward, AHS FCCLA will be tagging other FCCLA’s in neighboring schools to see if we can continue our mission to promote kindness and strengthen our community.