Athletics with Adversity

What being an athlete is like while also living with diabetes

Crystal Coleman and Maci Webb, Sports Journalist

Don’t let one bump in the road stop you from doing what you love.

— Regan Strong

Being a high school athlete has struggles on its own. You have to learn how to balance work, school, and outside activities along with keeping up with your sport. Going to practices almost every day with games or events on the weekends becomes a lot when you have other things to think about as well. Regan Strong is a senior here at Arlington High School, and she is an athlete with diabetes.

Regan has been cheering since 6th grade, but was diagnosed with diabetes in 7th grade. She had some blood work done a year prior, but wasn’t diagnosed until the January of 2017. Regan found out about her disease one week before her team was supposed to go to Nationals in Orlando, and she was nervous that it might affect her spot on the team, or her cheer career in general.

Regan says that living with diabetes isn’t as hard as people think it is. Managing her disease rarely keeps her from any activities, and she is in her final season of high school cheer this year. Regan also works two jobs 2-3 days a week along with cheering and school. She says that she has specific times where her blood sugar is low and she might have to take a break, but enjoys cheering and is glad that she is still able to participate. She says that her family, coaches, and especially her teammates were her biggest supporters.

Regan’s biggest opinion on living and managing diabetes is that you shouldn’t let it hold you back. “Don’t let one bump in the road stop you from doing what you love.” Regan hopes to be an inspiration for other people living with type one diabetes, to let them know that they can still live their lives with this challenge.