AHS Foreign Language Teacher offers immersive trips for students

Grace Starnes

A lot of families travel just for the fun of it, but some teachers offer immersive trips for students to dive deeper and learn about different places and cultures. Kelly Robinson, the teacher for AP Spanish, Spanish 3, and Spanish 4 honors, loves everything travel related. During 1992, she went on her first international trip to Spain with a couple of her students at Germantown High School. “It was magnificent”, says Señora Robinson. This would spark a new found passion for traveling abroad.

She has always been interested in traveling. Señora Robinson loves everything about exploring different cultures, along with the things there are to see and do in the country. “It’s so very different from the United States”. Especially ones where she can speak the language; Spain, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Peru, Mexico, and Costa Rica are just the Spanish speaking countries she’s traveled to.

It feels like Señora has really been anywhere and everywhere. She has traveled abroad to Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands, Iceland, Sweden, France, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Saint Thomas, Saint Martin, and Nicaragua. Her husband, a geography teacher at Houston High School, loves traveling just as much as she does. “He’s the one who manages all the trips because he likes to go places he’s never been before”. Although in 2019, Covid put a hold on their travel adventures for a while.  Eager to go see the world again, a trip to Scotland will be exactly what their traveling hearts need. Getting to experience the things Scotland has to offer will make unforgettable memories for the two of them.

Right after school gets out, some of her students, here at Arlington, are traveling to Spain with her. They are going to Portugal, which Señora has never seen before so she is excited for a new experience. While in Portugal, her and her students will visit the capital, then go down to the South of Portugal, the algarve region. “Which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful beach areas anywhere in the Mediterranean”, says Robinson. Along with this, they are going to the Southern part of Spain, and Seville. She wants to see a new structure that was built called “Las Setas”. It is a big wooded structure that you can go up on and see almost the whole entire downtown area. There are many other places Señora Robinson and her students with be traveling to and can’t wait to see.

Señora Robinson encourages traveling, even if there are a few bumps in the road along the way. “Really there is nothing more expanding than travel… just take it in stride, and you get wonderful experiences that you can’t get anywhere else”. If you are interested in taking an abroad trip here at Arlington High School, we would love to have you travel along and make memories that last a life time.